[Xen-devel] Re: Xen bootloader

Rob Bradford wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 12:48 +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:

The default for config files would be to boot the kboot kernel+initrd, which would then load the correct kernel+initrd for that guest, according to a configuration file or a user menu choice.

Could we use initramfs  rather than a separate initrd? If I understand
correctly this is just the kind of use case it would work well for.

we've had the same discussion on olpc, and I even built initramfs images for olpc.

There are a number of bugs in initramfs up to and including 2.6.17, which you will want to make sure are fixed. They all related to building -- things just don't work correctly, due to broken build scripts.

I just fixed said bugs and kept going, and offered my patches up but was told 'those bugs just got fixed', so YMMV. But xen seems to be at 2.6.13 right now, so I expect they're still there.

Modulo those bugs, it ought to work fine -- it did for me.

ron