Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Xen scheduler

I just applied the following patch to xen-unstable to make SEDF a bit saner. With this I can't get it to hog the CPU 100% like I could before.

 -- Keir

On 17 Jun 2006, at 01:43, Ky Srinivasan wrote:

I had sent the following email to Kier and Ian earlier today. I think
this issue is important enough to have a wider discussion on this
topic.
K. Y

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at  3:23 PM, in message
<4492CD25.E57C.0030.0@xxxxxxxxxx>,
Ky Srinivasan wrote:
Kier,

In trying to narrow down the cause for domu's timeout problems, it
looks
like we have a more serious problem in the xen scheduler. If you have
active
load on dom0, all other domains get severely starved. A simple way to
see
this is to have a process in an infinite loop on dom0 (for best
results have
as many instances of this process running as the number of physical
CPUs on
the box). With this load on dom0, all other domains will get little
or no cpu
time.

Looking at the sedf code, it looks like the default values do give a
lot of
preference to dom0. What is the implication of setting domu's
scheduling
parameters comparable to what dom0 gets. When I set domu's period and
slice
values to what dom0 has, domu is getting a reasonable share of the
CPU.

Regards,

K. Y