Re: [Xen-devel] Why do we use /usr/lib/python to install python libraries?

On 9 Jun 2006, at 03:00, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Mark Williamson wrote:
This seems exceptionally evil and is definitely a PITA.  What was the
original problem that led us to do this?  I'd like to take a stab at
correcting it so we can have a more sane installation.

I thought it involved some pain early one with supporting different Python versions in different distros? Maybe with the binary installer?

Of course I could be talking bunk - it's been like that for a loooooong time and my memory was better when I was younger ;-)

Yeah, this is why I asked. I have vague recollections of this discussion too but can't remember the exact reasons. I'm hoping that we've gotten smarter since then and can find a better solution :-)

To be able to install on a machine different from the one we built on. Because our distribution method is to 'python install' into a dist/ subdirectory and then basically blat that directory into / on the target machine. It would probably be smarter to include python scripts to be able to 'python install' out of dist/ -- it'd require us to have python-devel and C compiler installed on the target box though.

Ultimately the argument was that distros should install in their usual place because they *know* what python version they ship, but that since we didn't we'd just install in /usr/lib/python because that required least thought for maximum coverage. :-)

 -- Keir