From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ian Pratt
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:07 AM
To: Daniel Stekloff
Cc: Natasha Jarymowycz; xen-devel
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: Rearchitecting IO Emulation for HVM Guests

> Natasha and I are interested in helping with the io emulation work for
> fully virtualized HVM guests you mentioned in your March 12th email:

Great!

I think the updated task list probably looks something like:
 1. update qemu-dm to use latest QEMU version (Christian is working on
this)
 2. modify the xen/qemu interface to use the 'v2e' approach (Leendert is
looking at this)
 3. implement 'stub domains' -- rings 1-3 in the root VMCS (normally
used by PV guests) are free for use in HVM domains (we need to have some
discussion on the best way of doing this [*])
 4. run linux in the stub domain with qemu running from an initrd
 5a. link qemu directly against the linux kernel to avoid system calls
 5b. or, link qemu against minios if we have IO support in minios.

Thanks,
Ian

[*] do we have a separate domain struct that the scheduler knows is
actually the same as another domain for scheduling/accounting purposes,
or do we modify the domain struct so hvm and pv guests don't share the
same fields? Probably the latter.

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-03/msg00394.html