Re: [Xen-devel] VTx enabled + xen 3.0 stable IO performance...

  • To: "M S, Rajanish" <MS.Rajanish@xxxxxx>
  • From: "Rami Rosen" <rosenrami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:30:50 +0200
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:31:12 -0700

Hi,

 This question is very interesting indeed and bothered also me .

I googled for official benchmarks from Intel/AMD for performance
of Xen running on VT-x or AMD and could not
find any.

Had you looked at the following thread in xen-devel:
HVM network performance:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-05/msg00183.html

Though it speaks about network performance (and not disk I/O) I think
it may be  relevant.

You said:

Xen document says that the performance should >be
close-to-native.
As I understand this refers to non-VT processors.

It seems to me that using QEMU in HVM
may cause slower performance than on non-VT
processors. (In non-VT processors Xen  does not use QEMU but uses
backend-frontend virtual device drivers, which seems more efficient).

Can anybody give I/O performance results on AMD
SVM processors (these processors have virtualization extensions).?

Regards,
Rami Rosen