Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] [3/3] dom0_ops explicitly sized types

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 16:32 +0300, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > I assume you're referring specifically to the privcmd structure change,
> > which is the only Linux-specific part of the patch. The privcmd
> > structure is shared between userspace and the kernel. Since "u64" is a
> > kernel type, we need to use "uint64_t", which has meaning in
> > userspace.
>
> Oh well, I didn't realize it was shared with userspace... sorry for
> the false alarm.

I think Linus' opinion[0] is that kernel headers which are shared with
userspace cannot assume that stdint.h has been included so you need to
use __u64 and friends.

Ian.

[0] http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.1/1456.html.
There's been plenty of other traffic in lkml about it too.