Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: split smpboot.c and create cpuhotplug.c

Le Lundi 22 Mai 2006 17:44, Keir Fraser a écrit :
> On 22 May 2006, at 08:57, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > this patch creates a new file: cpuhotplug.c.  The content is the xenbus
> > handler part of smpboot.c.  The purpose is to be able to share this
> > part with
> > other architectures.
> >
> > Tested by compiling on i386.
>
> This raises the obvious question: why don't you use the rest of our
> smpboot.c to implement SMP bringup? It's all generic except the bit
> that sets up VCPU initial context.
I can see three reasons:

* Only a 10 lines change (IPI handling) was required in the linux kernel to
run SMP on Xen.  All the other changes were in Xen.

* xen/core/smpboot.c is not a drop in replacement for
arch/ia64/kernel/smpboot.c  Surgery will be required.

* If we used xen/core/smpboot.c, we'd lose transparent virtualization.  To
re-enable it we had to do surgery again.

Tristan.