[Xen-devel] Re: [dm-devel] [RFC] dm-userspace

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 16:02 -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> (I'm including the xen-devel list on this, as things are starting to
> get interesting).
>
> MZ> do u have any benchmark results about overhead?
>
> So, I've spent some time over the last week working to improve
> performance and collect some benchmark data.
>
> I moved to using slab caches for the request and remap objects, which
> helped a little.  I also added a poll() method to the control device,
> which improved performance significantly.  Finally, I changed the
> internal remap storage data structure to a hash table, which had a
> very large performance impact (about 8x).

why need a poll here? ask a dumb question.

this is interesting. have u ever check the average loop up path length
with single queue and has table? this can improve by 8X, quite
impressive.

> Copying data to a device backed by dm-userspace presents a worst-case
> scenario, especially with a small block-size like what qcow uses.  In
> one of my tests, I copy about 20MB of data to a dm-userspace device,
> backed by files hooked up to the loopback driver.  I compare this with
> a "control" of a single loop-mounted image file (i.e., without
> dm-userspace or CoW).  I measured the time to mount, copy, and unmount
> the device, which (with the recent performance improvements) are
> approximately:
>
>   Normal Loop:        1 seconds
>   dm-userspace/qcow: 10 seconds
>
> For comparison, before adding poll() and the hash table, the
> dm-userspace number was over 70 seconds.

nice improvement!

> One of the most interesting cases for us, however, is providing a
> CoW-based VM disk image, which is mostly used for reading, with a
> small amount of writing for configuration data.  To test this, I used
> Xen to compare a fresh FC4 boot (firstboot, where things like SSH keys
> are generated and written to disk) that used an LVM volume as root to
> using dm-userspace (and loopback-files) as the root.  The numbers are
> approximately:
>
>   LVM root:          26 seconds
>   dm-userspace/qcow: 27 seconds

this is quite impressive, i think application take most of the time and
some time are overlapped with io. and with little io here, this little
difference is what u can get. i think this will be very helpful for
diskless san boot.