[Xen-devel] Setting dom0-cpus to 0 doesn't use all cpus as documented

Hello,

The comments for dom0-cpus in the xend-config.sxp file indicate that
setting this value to 0 in an SMP system will cause dom0 to use all the
available CPUs. However, it appears as if setting this value to 0 does
not change the number of CPUs at all.

I'm running SLES10 Beta 11 and xen-unstable changeset 9960 on a Unisys
ES7000 with 32 CPUs and 32GB memory. In xend-config.sxp, dom0-cpus is
set to 0. When xen dom0 boots, it is using all 32 procs (as reported by
'grep processor /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l').

If I edit the xend-config.sxp file, change the value of dom0-cpus to 1,
and restart xend, dom0 correctly uses 1 CPUs. If I then change dom0-cpus
to 0 and restart xend, dom0 still uses 1 cpu. The only way to have dom0
use 32 cpus again is to either set the value of dom0-cpus to 32, or
reboot xen.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

brian carb
unisys cmp technology lab