RE: [Xen-devel] Using arch/x86_64/pci-dma in x86_64 Xen

> > > The mainstream kernel has a clean abstraction layer
> > > with the dma_ops that should be portable to Xen dom0
> > > and domU.  I've started implementing this in a
> > > pci-dma-xen for x86_64 Xen Linux.  Am I stepping on
> > > anyone's toes or
> > > is there anyone I should be co-ordinating this with?
>
> I think that using the dma_ops abstraction layer on x86_64 is
> definitely the way to go.  It's just not clear how the Xen
> specific dma ops should be implemented in the end, whether
> having a common implementation is worthwhile considering that
> it will require glue code to make it fit with the different
> interfaces.

I don't think there's enough differences between the bare
metal dma ops and the Xen dma ops to justify a common
implementation.  Also, the common implementation implies
that each IOMMU interface needs to have some knowledge of
the other interfaces, and I don't think that's sustainable
long term.

-Mark Langsdorf
AMD, Inc.