RE: [Xen-devel] Memory overhead of HVM domains

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at  3:58 PM, in message
<FFEFE1749526634699CD3AC2EDB7627A0184B6E7@pdsmsx406>, "Jiang, Yunhong"
<yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From you definition of overhead, I think your overhead should include
the
> shadow page table, p2m table and those shadow cache, am I right?

Right.  But 10 to 14 MB** for just a 16 MB domU seems excessive for
these things, doesn't it?

** my numbers below minus 4 MB for video

> Not sure if any other sources.
>
> Also I just find a bug on qemu, which may occupy double size of the
video
> memory if you are using Xwindow.

That might help explain it, thanks.

> Thanks
> Yunhong Jiang

Coffing
>>Sent: 2006å4æ11æ 12:43
>>To: xen- devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>Subject: [Xen- devel] Memory overhead of HVM domains
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was trying to find a solution for bug #521 ("video ram for hvm
guests not
>>properly accounted for when ballooning").  The trivial (although
ugly) answer
>>is to allocate an extra (hard- coded) 1026 pages in the
getDomainMemory()