Re: [Xen-devel] Xm-test fails to pass sanity checks in hvm mode

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 14:21 -0600, Lynn Bendixsen wrote:
> >> I am attempting to run xm- test in hvm mode.  I built successfully and
> >> then
> > started runtests.sh. After about 30 seconds an error message appeared
> > "Timed
> > out connecting to console" or similar.  I then used xmexample.hvm to
> > manually
> > try and start disk.img fully virtualized and the following was the last few
> > lines on the VMs terminal:
> >>
> >> VFS: Cannot open root device "0301" or unknown- block(3,1)
> >> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> >> Kernel panic -  not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
> >> block(3,1)
> >> Has anyone else seen this issue?  Did I do something wrong?
> >> I built on SLES 10 beta 9 using that kernel for -- with- hvm- kernel.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just built the latest tip and was able to run the disk.img manually. I
> > was also able to run the _sanity tests from xm- test -  all in hvm mode.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1) Could you provide your config file -  xmexample.hvm -  that you're
> > using?
> > 2) Is the SLES10 beta 9 kernel a non- Xen kernel?
> > 3) Can you boot a non- xm- test disk image fully virtualized?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan
> >

> Hi Dan,
>
> Answers:
> 1) attached - All I changed from my original file was the "file=" line and
> possibly the memory.
> 2) yes
> 3) yes

It won't boot an SMP kernel. I bet the default kernel you're building
with is SMP, right? HVM doesn't support SMP yet, I believe, although
Intel people are working on that. I haven't debugged any further but
I've confirmed that an SMP kernel on the disk.img won't boot.

Thanks,

Dan