Re: [Xen-devel] applying bug fixes

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 01:03:37PM -0500, Brian Hays wrote:

> When bug fixes occur (such as the fix for bug #514) is there any way to
> apply that fix to a stable branch (such as 3.0.1) or does it require
> either the installation of xen-unstable or waiting until 3.0.2 is
> released?

Pulling bug fixes from unstable into 3.0-testing is a manual operation,
something that one of the XenSource employees does as and when it is
needed (and preferably in batches, because it's thankless work).

If you would like to see a bug fix in 3.0-testing, then you should ask on the
list, specifying xen-unstable changesets, preferably.  We will assess
the bug to determine whether the fix is risky (i.e. likely to
destabilise the stable tree) versus the impact of the bug before we
decide whether it's going to go in.  If you could provide that
assessment for us, that would help too.  Finally, if the patch does not
apply cleanly against unstable, then it would help if you provided a
patch that was rebased against 3.0-testing.

For each 3.0.x release, we normally sweep the whole of unstable into the
3.0-testing tree, so all bug fixes get taken at that point.  You only
need to go through this arduous process for the 8 weeks or so between
releases -- any time close to a 3.0.x release, it's probably easier for
all involved just to wait for that release.

3.0.2 will be about a week (we tagged 3.0.2-rc last Friday).

Ewan.