[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/24] VMI i386 Linux virtualization interface proposal

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:22:15AM -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> >Why can't vmware use the Xen interface instead?
> >

> We could.  But it is our opinion that the Xen interface is unnecessarily
> complicated, without a clean separation between the layer of interaction
> with the hypervisor and the kernel proper.  The interface we propose we
> believe is more powerful, and more conducive to performance
> optimizations while providing significant advantages - most
> specifically, a single binary image that is properly virtualizable on
> multiple hypervisors and capable of running on native hardware.

I agree with Zach here, the Xen hypervisor <-> kernel interface is
not very nice.  This proposal seems like a step forward althogh it'll
probably need to go through a few iterations.  Without and actually
useable opensource hypevisor reference implementation it's totally
unacceptable, though.