[Xen-devel] RE: Default Xen Kernel Builds (was Re: Modules in domU kernel config?)

  • To: "Sean Dague" <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:57:32 -0000
  • Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:58:32 +0000

> > These days, most of the testing is on -xen kernels rather
> than -xen0/U.
> The default xen-unstable builds -xen0 and -xenU kernels, so
> as far as I know, no one around these parts is testing -xen
> kernels.  If you believe that -xen0 / -xenU are deprecated,
> it would be good to change the build defaults.

The binary tar balls and RPMs that are built nightly (and for each
release) have all been based around the -xen kernel (for over a year
now).

I've suggested changing the defult when building from source to just
build -xen before, but a number of developers complained loudly about
the build times going up masively and the inconvenience of needing to
install modules etc. Every developer would end up with a local patch to
change the default etc.

Is it time to revist this?
NB: we got caught out by this with the 3.0.0 release whereby a config
option enabled in -xen and not in -xen0 caused the "insufficient tx
headroom" bug that effected some configurations and hastened the relase
of 3.0.0-1

Ian