Re: [Xen-devel] Re: domUloader kernel command line arguments?

Hi Matt,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:20:21AM -0500, Matt Ayres wrote:
> Kurt Garloff wrote:
>

> >You need to apply this on top of the other domUloader patches.
> >Let me know if this addresses your problem.
>
> On a side note, WILL domUloader ever be integrated into Xen?

Don't know. I definitely would like to see it integrated.
I haven't been able to follow the list too well the last weeks, so
I'm not aware of the latest discussion status on this.

> I much
> prefer it over pygrub as it will read from a filesystem (vs partitions)
> and relies on the host FS support (so JFS/XFS are no problem).

It should not come as a surprise that I like it as well :-)

> I know there were some complaints to the implementation,

I'm aware of two complaints
(1) security concerns (you _mount_ the FS in dom0)
(2) the use of kpartx from multipath-tools which seems to be missing
    from some ancient distros

Anything else you are aware of?

(1) is a feature and it's the reason why we probably will have pygrub
    coexist with domUloader :-(
(2) we could help, by using fdisk -l and losetup rather than kpartx
    if the latter is missing; though fdisk -l would limit the supported
    partition tables to DOS ones.

> but is work
> being done to make sure that domUloader does not die as a project?

Well, domUloader is shipped and used by Novell.
I guess I should set up a project page somewhere in case we can't
get it included in Xen.

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff, Head Architect Linux, Novell Inc.