Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Bootloader configuration

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:53:09PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 17:10 -0600, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > >
> > > Right. AFAIK nobody is working on this right now.
> >
> > GRUB already implements its own read-only filesystem drivers for a variety
> > of
> > filesystems. It sounds like your "readfs" would be duplicating this work.
>
> Well, GRUB is also duplicating plenty of work.  Filesystem code is fun!
> Well, or not ;-)

For some reason I didn't get Hollis's original post. Anyway, he's right
that there's a certain amount of code duplication, but certainly very
little for filesystems that provide a userspace library. I cannot think
of a sane way to share this code (just like the grub authors could not
share the kernel's version).

I do believe that readfs is generally useful.

regards,
john