[Xen-devel] Re: chmod'ing XmTestReport/* at compile time

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 10:28:19AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that when running xm-test during development, a bunch of files
> under revision control get touched during building making hg ci a bit
> awkward since it picks up these changes.  I talked to Dan Smith about it
> and he said it was because the hg on xenbits would occasionally lose +x
> permissions.
>
> Is this still the case?  If so, what version of hg is this?  If this is
> happening, I'd like to try and reproduce it so it can be submitted to
> mercurial as a bug (if it already hasn't).

I'm using Mercurial 0.7, I'm not sure what's on Xenbits.  I see that there's a
0.8 out now -- I don't know if this bug is fixed (assuming it's a bug).  If
you search the xen-unstable repo for "rcS" you will see my attempts to
persuade it to pick up the executable bit.  I'm not sure why it wouldn't do so
-- perhaps the change in permission doesn't make it past a merge?

Personally, I'd rather that the build system worried about permissions.  When
I receive a patch, of course there's no way for that patch to transmit the
appropriate change in permissions -- you have to handle it all out-of-band,
and that seems error prone to me (even if Mercurial could be made to work).  I
understand that it's a pain having Mercurial think that the file has changed,
though.  Perhaps someone has a solution?

Ewan.