Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Bootloader configuration

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:45:06AM +0000, Tim Deegan wrote:

> > 4) The concept of "retrieve a file from this fs image" seems to be
> > generically
> >    useful outside of the Xen project context; forcing a Python API for this
> >    functionality seems a lot less general than it should be.
>
> Surely this is somewhere that Python can be very useful!  Support for
> filesystem reading is available in C libraries, and munging a lot of C
> interfaces together into a command-line tool is one of the things Python
> does best.

I'm not against "readfs" being written in Python as such, just only a
Python API being presented. That is, I think the most useful interface
form is that of a command-line utility.

As it happens, my current prototype is written in C (ext2, and UFS) as
it's very little code with a shell script frontend calling into the
backends.

> In general I agree with your ideas; my own patches to XM and pygrub for
> this were going along these lines, if not quite general enough.  In the
> long term though, in-domU support is going to be the best way of doing
> this, specially for virtual hosting and "packaged" VM images.

Are you referring to a grub Xen port, or the "boot something once to get
images" thing that's been discussed, or something else?

cheers,
john