[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] External modem in domU

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 14:32 -0500, John S Little wrote:
> Ryan <hap9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 02/21/2006 02:23:39 PM:
>
> > On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 14:23 -0500, John S Little wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > Is it possible to use an external modem in a domU?  I read several
> posts,
> > > most notably the one below,  but didn't see anything recently.  If
> it's
> > > possible is the an example config somewhere?
> > >

> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-08/msg00602.html1
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > John Little
> > > Hendricks Regional Health IS Department
> > > 317-718-4752
> > > jslittl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > http://www.hendrickshospital.org
> > >

> > John,
> >
> > If your serial ports are on a separate PCI card, you could use the
> > functionality in Xen 2.0.x or in the xen-unstable tree to put that PCI
> > card in your domU. There's some documentation for this in the Xen user
> > manual now. This would probably be the easiest solution.
> >
> > If you have built-in serial ports... it will probably be harder. You'll
> > need to manually specify to Xen which i/o ports and which IRQ to give to
> > the domU. Xen 3.0.1 and later (maybe 3.0.0, I'd have to double-check
> > when the functionality was introduced) have support for sharing i/o
> > ports and interrupts, however there is no xend component for setting up
> > the interrupt sharing (see tools/python/xen/xend/server/iopif.py for the
> > i/o ports part). If you're interested in experimenting and building your
> > own tools, I have some experimental code for adding the interrupt
> > configuration support to xend that I may be able to post on the list.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> Hello Ryan,
>
> I am using 3.0.1 on an x86_64 sun box.   The serial ports are built in. I
> would be interested in having a try at your experimental code for this.
> Thinking about the pci part of that though would it be just as easy to get
> an internal non-winmodem (if such exists-it's been a long time since if
> messed with a modem)?
>
> Regards,
>
> John Little

Yes, an internal modem would work with the PCI deriver domain support
(even a "winmodem" might work if it had the appropriate drivers for your
OS - some drivers exist for winmodems under linux). Look in the Xen user
manual for the section on "Driver Domain Configuration" for help with
the PCI setup. The code for this is not in 3.0.1, you'd need to get the
latest from xen-unstable to make this work.

The attached patch (which should apply to xen-unstable and 3.0.1) adds
support for configuring interrupts in xend (and fixes what looks like a
minor bug in xend's support for i/o ports). With this patch, add
something like the following to your domU config file to get the serial
port in domU:

irq = [4]
ioports = ['3f8-3ff']

You'll also need to compile in the serial port drivers in your domU
(under "Device Drivers" -> "Character Devices"). These may be disabled
by an option under the "XEN" menu so check there first.

Let me know how this patch works for you.

I'm curious, are others interested in driver domains for legacy devices
(like serial ports, ps/2 ports, ISA cards)? What other kinds of
devices/buses need to be supported with driver domains?

Ryan