Re: [Xen-devel] Unmodified Windows etc on XEN 3.0 with Intel/VT or AMD/Pacifica

> You write an xen configuration file that has a 'cdrom' entry which points
> to your cd device, or an iso image. Then you tell xen to boot from the
> cdrom. Would look something like this:
>
> cdrom = "/path/to/isofile" (or /dev/hdc if that is your cdrom device)
> boot  = "d"
>
> also you'd want:
> vnc = 1

Or you can enable a local X Window, if that suits your setup.

> You would either use the vnc connection, but I wouldn't suggest that as its
> very slow and for me has mouse problems.

I'm not sure to what extent VNC is to blame, and to what extent it's the
display device model.  Using the normal X Window might improve this a bit,
but the current display emulator will never win any speed awards.

> >- If I use a Processor with x86-64-support, should I install the
> >x86-64-version of Linux or just the i386 if most xenU-domains just will
> >be x86? The advantage with x86-64 is that it uses memory above 4GB
> >better but is there a disadvantage with x86-only-guests?
>
> I don't really have enough knowledge to comment on this.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question...

If you're running on a host with > 4Gig memory, you *either* need to run a PAE
dom0 on PAE Xen (not sure if you can use VT on PAE Xen at the moment...) or
run a 64-bit dom0 on 64-bit Xen.  Dom0 and Xen have to be matched.

Therefore, if you want to use > 4Gig memory in the whole system *or* you want
to run *any* 64-bit guests, you need a 64-bit dom0 on a 64-bit Xen.  Does
that answer your question?

HTH,
Mark