Re: [Xen-devel] RE: VP problematic for backend drivers on IA64?

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 14:45 -0800, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort
Collins) wrote:

> Yes, unless there are legacy drivers/devices that circumvent the
> DMA interface.  I don't know if this is the case on some/many/all
> Linux/ia64 configurations... perhaps someone with more familiarity
> with a broad range of Linux/ia64 configurations can comment?  I
> would be concerned with, for example, IDE, GART, VGA, console...?

   VGA and serial consoles don't typically do DMA-like operations AFAIK.
They may live in legacy address spaces, but I think their programming
model is entirely reads and writes.  All IDE chips can operate in
standard PCI mode these days, so they should be covered by the DMA-API.
GARTs are similar to IOMMUs, they'll need to be modified to understand
the translation.

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab