[Xen-devel] Backend device not found?

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:29:04 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:37:05 +0000

Can somebody help with what must be a really simple problem? I've got a stock xen 3.0 installation on a brand new Redhat ES4 installation. I've got all the usual stuff installed - brutils, iproute2, hotplug, etc. Dom0 boots fine, and xend starts up ok. But when I try to start domU using the command: xm create -f /etc/xen/xmexample2 vmid=4 kernel="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-xenU" -c
I get the message:
Using config file "/etc/xen/xmexample2". Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found. Appending "nics=0" to the command line makes the problem error go away, but of course networking doesn't work.

Two other data points: First, the exact same xen and dom0/domU binaries work fine on another installation. Second, I saw this exact problem two months ago. So I have to assume it's some kind of configuration error, since I don't recall seeing other people reporting this behavior.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob