Re: [Xen-devel] Paravirtualization of the "HLT" instruction (for example) on x386

  • To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ian Brown <ianbrn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:39:56 +0200
  • Cc: Xen Mailing List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:46:28 +0000

Hello,
Thnks, Keir.

>The point of paravirtualizetion is that such instructions are replaced
>with explicit traps to the hypervisor in the OS.

1) Can you please give a pointer to where in code (xen 3.0) such privileged
instruction is  replaced
with a trap to the hypervisor ? (I have some assumption where it is done
but I am really not sure at all)

2) Regarding HLT - what happens if a guest OS issue "HLT" ?
I assume that without intervention in Xen code, issuing HLT from a
guest domain can stop not only the guest domain, but also the
hypervisor (and in fact the machine).
is there somewhere in code special treatment to "HLT"?
IB