Re: [Xen-devel] Auto CPU rebalance ?

On 29 Dec 2005, at 22:05, Ian Pratt wrote:

It remains to be seen whether gang scheduling is actually necessary. I'd
like to see how well some combination of "bad pre-emption"
avoidance/mitigation coupled with biasing the scheduler to run vcpu's of
domains that already have vcpu's running.

Strict gang scheduling is likely to lead to a lot of wasted cycles, and
I expect we can do better. The first step is to define a set of
workloads we want to optimise for, and collect some traces.

We need a gang-scheduling option for hyperthreads. Unless they are devoted to service domains, it doesn't make sense to run different domUs simultaneously on the same core.

 -- Keir