RE: Guest-visible phys2mach part of Xen arch-neutral API? was: [Xen-devel] Uses of &frame_table[xfn]

  • To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:51:25 -0800
  • Cc: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, Xen Mailing List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:56:24 +0000

> > Note that the current physical=machine in domain0 is not a
> > design requirement, just the current implementation.  The question
> > at hand isn't whether Xen/ia64 domain0 should be mapped
> > physical=machine,
> > but -- if it is not -- whether the mapping should be guest-visible.
>
> The mapping will need to be guest-visible to allow correct
> programming
> of DMA engines. It works okay for you right now because dom0
> has p==m.
> But if that is no longer the case then drivers will break, and you
> won't be able to implement driver domains either.
>
> Even if you don't go with an explicit p2m table, you'll need a
> hypercall for getting the same info (which would also be a hook point
> for maintaining IOMMU mappings, if the architecture needs
> such a thing
> and the IOMMU is managed by Xen).

Sorry, I am supposed to be on vacation this week so my mind
is not quite all together.

Yes, right, because of DMA, p==m *is* a design requirement for
Xen/ia64 domain0 and driver domains unless there is an explicit
p2m table or hypercall.

So then is p==m in dom0 (and driver domains) an unacceptable design
alternative for (non-x86) Xen architectures?  If it is acceptable,
then the question remains:

> So the question becomes: Should Xen drivers be made more portable
> to accommodate architectures where a guest-visible phys2mach table
> is NOT required for paravirtualizing the architecture?  Or should
> Linux code for each architecture that is ported to Xen be modified
> to utilize data structures that are only really necessary for x86?

Thanks,
Dan