Re: [Xen-devel] Uses of &frame_table[xfn]

On 22 Dec 2005, at 23:29, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:

The balloon driver in xenlinux was also fixed, but I think
this is a syntactic but not a semantic fix.  In balloon_init,
an assumption is made that all pages below xen_start_info->nr_pages
are valid RAM.  What if all pages of valid RAM are above
nr_pages?  Then (I think) the balloon driver will eat up
all the domain's RAM.  (Unlikely, but you get the drift.)

The assumption is that you are initially allocated contiguous RAM from pseudophys page frame 0 up to pseudophys page frame nr_pages-1.

A further assumption is that, if the max_pfn is larger than nr_pages, the physical space between nr_pages and max_pfn is not (yet) populated with RAM. Thus those pages properly belong to the balloon driver.

Are these assumptions not workable on ia64?

 -- Keir