Re: [Xen-devel] overwriting config files on re-install, and vif's

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:50:42PM +1100, James Harper wrote:

> Also, I now seem to have the following interfaces hanging around, even
> before I create any domains:
>
> 2: vif0.0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
>     link/ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> 3: veth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue
>     link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> [etc]
>
> Are they really necessary? Are they cruft from xen remembering vif's
> created from time gone by, or created automatically?

They are the 8 netback-loopback interface pairs.  These are used to connect
dom0's virtual ethernet through a bridge (or whatever) and then out through
the physical ethernet interface.  8 interfaces allows you 8 physical NICs.  If
you want to reduce this number, it's the parameter nloopbacks to our loopback
module (see drivers/xen/netback/loopback.c.  They aren't doing any harm though,
so I'd not worry about it.

Ewan.