[Xen-devel] Re: [linux-usb-devel] Error recovery in Xen's paravirtualizing USB driver for Linux

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 16:44 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:20:35AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Part of the problem is that the stub drivers on the back-end are forced to
> > bind to USB interfaces instead of USB devices.  It would make life simpler
> > for you guys if the stub driver could bind to the entire device (replacing
> > the usb_generic driver).  Do you think that's worth pursuing?
>
> My first reaction to this is NO!  The usbcore has some tricks it plays
> with knowing stuff about the usb_generic driver (basically it uses it as
> a flag to prevent bad things from happening in driver core callbacks.)
>
> But in thinking about it some more, this might be the best solution for
> all virtual bus implementations like this one, and the USB over IP
> stuff.

OK.  I think I'd like to pursue this.  I want to fix my error recovery
and write some documentation so I'll probably get back to it in Jan
unless I get reassigned to something else.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be capable of putting a patch together.  It
depends just how hairy it turns out to be.  Any chance you could list
the issues that you know would need to be solved.  This would be a great
help when I come to look at it.

Harry.