[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] Xen Virtual Framebuffer

Jon Smirl wrote:
On 12/5/05, James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Some things just work better when you can enable shared memory
extensions under X, which obviously can't be done over the network.

Also, X isn't the only thing that can make use of a framebuffer.

What is an example of something that uses framebuffer?

Any application based on Qt/Embedded or Gtk/FB. Several distributions' graphical installers, I think. Trolltech's palmtop application environment, I'm quite sure. Any number of custom embedded apps intended to run in environments too small for an X server. Quite some time back there were a decent number of games written to target the framebuffer, as well.

Being able to use Xen to prototype embedded applications (at least when host and target architectures match) is a very, very big win.