Re: [Xen-devel] n/w performance degradation

On 6 Dec 2005, at 00:04, Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> Look forward to it. Whats the deal with the pipelined backend? Whats
> the target scenario there?

It's a form of request-notification avoidance. It allows the frontend to avoid sending a notification (virtual ipi) to the backend if any previous requests are still in flight (no response received). In some situations, pipelining can mean you basically need to send no notifications, because the backend will pull down new requests as it responds to old ones.

Thing is, it doesn;t work for some forms of packet processing in domain0. For example, if you send fragmented IP datagrams and they are reassembled in domain0 there may be a dependency between packets. Hence you need to send notifications even if buffers are in flight because you won't get a response until the datagram is reassembled and forwarded.

Meanwhile, though I agree that SMPs and hyperthreaded processors are
becoming the norm, it still doesn't solve this problem. Even on an SMP
machine, I can have dom0 co-located with a VM on the same CPU, and I'm
not sure how different that would be from the current situation.

With enough hardware contexts, it'll soon become sensible to dedicate a context to domain0 or your IDD. It's certainly a very sensible use of a hyperthread (almost certainly a better use than multiprocessing within a guest, if you do a significant amount of i/o).

On a related note, has anyone been working on the IDD stuff? Is it
possible to wrap up a device driver in its own domain? The last time
I tried, it basically wasn't possible, but I'd really be interested in
helping out any which way to get it working.

Needs some PCI virtualization in Xen (managed by platform code in domain0). Nothing too tricky I think.

 -- Keir