RE: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped working

  • To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:40:44 -0800
  • Cc: Xen Mailing List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:40:33 +0000

> Anyway, I'd be inclined to try the new changesets (not yet
> pushed to the public
> tree) and see if that improves things.

Same problem and same workaround on tip (8169).  Please
email when your new changesets get pushed and I will
try them.

> > My /etc/xen/xmdefconfig is very short:
> > kernel = "/tmp/xenlinux"
> > memory = 256
> > nics=0
> > disk = ['phy:loop0,hda1,w']  # <-change to w!
> >
> > and after a fresh boot, I am simply doing:
> >
> > # lomount -t ext2 -diskimage /var/xen/hda /mnt
> > # xend start
> > # xm create
> >
> > I can see how it could be interpreted that loop0 is
> > being used both by domain0 and the newly created domain,
> > but isn't this a common use model?
>
> Only if you want to corrupt your filesystem!  Writing to that
> file via /mnt
> in dom0 and via /dev/hda1 in the guest ought to corrupt your
> fs nicely.

Not as long as the image is only used from domU, correct?

What is the proper use model?  As I noted previously,
disk = ['file:/var/xen/hda,hda1,w'] results in a Linux
error message ("UDF-fs: No VRS found"... and, no, I do
not have any CD's in /etc/fstab!).  Am I spelling
this xmdefconfig entry incorrectly?  Or is there
a better way to use a disk-in-a-file as root disk for
a guest domain?

Thanks,
Dan