RE: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped working

  • To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:41:39 -0800
  • Cc: Xen Mailing List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:41:27 +0000

Problem identified but it's a weird one!  I turned on logging
in /etc/xen/scripts/block and /etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent
using Adam's cool trick of redirecting stderr output (exec 2>>file),
and discovered I *was* getting a message that domain0 already
was using the loopback device.

So I again tried turning on w! in /etc/xen/xmdefconfig
and this time it worked!

However, when I turned off logging, the w! no longer makes
the problem go away, and there is a long pause before the
"Error: Device 769... Hotplug scripts not working" message.
(Logging need only be enabled in xen-backend.agent to
make the problem again go away.)

Some weird timing problem?

My /etc/xen/xmdefconfig is very short:
kernel = "/tmp/xenlinux"
memory = 256
nics=0
disk = ['phy:loop0,hda1,w']  # <-change to w!

and after a fresh boot, I am simply doing:

# lomount -t ext2 -diskimage /var/xen/hda /mnt
# xend start
# xm create

I can see how it could be interpreted that loop0 is
being used both by domain0 and the newly created domain,
but isn't this a common use model?

Dan

P.S. When I change my /etc/xen/xmdefconfig to
disk = ['file:/var/xen/hda,hda1,w']
mounting the root disk fails with: