RE: [Xen-devel] Hotplug scripts not working... xen/ia64 domU stopped working

  • To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:13:49 -0800
  • Cc: Xen Mailing List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:14:07 +0000

 > > > Switched back to cset 8122, ran make uninstall, make
> install-tools,
> > > and copied proper dom0, domU, and xen images back into
> place, booted
> > > xen/dom0 and tried to run domU.  Failed with the same
> hotplug message.
> > > Then ran xen-bugtool and got:
> > >
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/usr/sbin/xen-bugtool", line 17, in ?
> > >     sys.exit(bugtool.main())
> > >   File "/usr/lib/python/xen/util/bugtool.py", line 73, in main
> > >     bugball.append(string_iterator('physinfo',
> > > prettyDict(xc,physinfo())))
> > > xen.lowlevel.xc.error: (38, 'Function not implemented')
> > >
> > > Since I've never run xen-bugtool before, I don't know if this
> > > is a side effect of leftover dregs from other installs.  Also,
> > > not sure if this (even with error) is supposed to put results
> > > in a file somewhere?
> >
> > The physinfo call has been around forever.  I'd say that
> your kernel and tools
> > are disagreeing on the size of a structure or something like that.

Could be.  I'll take a look to see if what data structures changed.

> Actually, is physinfo even implemented on ia64?  (Does xm info work?)

No apparently not.  It's never been needed before now.  It can probably
be easily implemented.

Are you suspecting this is a related to my problem (e.g. the
hotplug issue) or just needed for xen-bugtool and xm info?

> Regarding the hotplug failure, please send your
> /var/log/{debug,messages,syslog} and I'll take a look.

I don't have a /var/log/debug or /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
is unrevealing.  Do you mean xend.log and xend-debug.log?  If so,
attached (along with my very simple xmdefconfig).

By the way, I've never had to deal with any of the hotplug stuff
on Xen/ia64... did some new requirement get added in the last few
days (post-8006)?

Dan