Re: [Xen-devel] [DOC] Update item on FAQ

Gerd Knorr wrote:

"Some distros (notably SLES9) have a mkinitrd that adds garbage to the end of the initrd. These initrds will not work with Xen. To correct this problem, you should gunzip the initrd, and then gzip it again."

!?!?!

What's in the garbage?  Presumably it's there for some reason?

Sure it is, it is the image for the fancy console screen. Doesn't hurt when it isn't present. And as vesafb doesn't work with xenified linux kernels it isn't used anyway.

Ah, that makes sense. Perhaps it's common enough then that we should work around it.

Easiest way to permanently get rid of it is "rpm -e bootsplash" (i.e. mkinitrd will stop appending the image to the initrd then). Nevertheless I don't see why it causes trouble, the domain builder should simply take the ramdisk blob and pass it as-is to the kernel, no?

Unfortunately it doesn't. It actually decompresses the initrd before passing it to the kernel. I'm not sure why we decompress it, anyone know why?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

  Gerd