[Xen-devel] Driver Architecture Changes

  • To: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:15:11 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:15:28 +0000

I have committed a moderately large change to the device driver infrastructure
in Xen.  This change takes large pieces of code from Rusty Russell's skeleton
driver, but with this work refactored so that it is available to all
Xenbus-based split drivers.  This change and it's relation to Rusty's work is
discussed in an email that will follow on immediately.

My intention is that we solidify the driver layer around this architecture as
we head for a Xen 3.0 release.  A number of subtle bugs have been addressed by
this change, and the code is now shorter and simpler, which should make it
easier for new drivers to be written too.

I have ported the net and block drivers to this, but not blktap, tpmfront, or
tpmback.  I shall be making a first pass over those three drivers very
shortly, but I would appreciate it if those people who are interested in those
drivers could help with testing and tweaking, as obviously I don't understand
them quite as well as the major drivers.

Cheers,

Ewan.