RE: [Xen-devel] liblrmi on dom0

  • To: "Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:42:19 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:42:28 +0000

> Greetings.  Has anyone had any success using liblrmi
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lrmi/) to work on dom0?
>
> I've been seeing a segfault in LRMI_vm86(), which is trying to enter
> vm86 mode with the vm86old() system call.
>
> There's an earlier thread about this same problem:
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-02/msg
> 00908.html

As far as I'm aware, ddcprobe works fine on xen-unstable thesedays
(though I can't actaully find a machine with a monitor attached to test
it rightnow, it doesn't segfault)

I haven't used lrmi. vm86 mode is pretty icky. It's believed to work
under xen/linux, but its possible its not perfect. I'm afraid fixing it
would be pretty low down our priority list...

The first step of debugging this would be to find out why the kernel
wants to return a segfault.

Ian