[Xen-devel] viewing memory in domU

I'm looking at developing an application to run in dom0 that will need a view into the memory of machines in domU. For now it will be a read-only view, but I'd like to experiment with read-write later. I've done some poking around in the source code and found the xc_map_foreign_range function in libxc. From what I could tell, this is (at least one way) how to do this. So, a couple of questions:

* This function doesn't seem to be used very much. The only usage that I could find was in the XenTrace tool. So I just wanted to confirm that this function was still maintained and not getting ready to go away with the 3.0 changes.

* Is there any reason that this functionality isn't implemented in the lowlevel/xc library in python? Perhaps just because there isn't as much demand for it? Or is there a deeper implementation issue?

* Are there other ways to view the memory of domU machines? Similarly, are there any ways to view items such as CPU registers of the domU machines?

* Given that the type of usage that I have in mind is going to be somewhat high bandwidth (i.e., need to constantly read and re-read memory on the domU machine(s)), is this function the best way to go? Or would you recommend that I look into another way?

Thanks for the help!

-bryan