Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] creating a domU with a particular UUID with xen-unstable

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:12:52 -0500
"Andrew D. Ball" <aball@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks like I can do this by starting a domain from an SXP directly
> instead of a Python-based configuration.
>
> If I use a suitable algorithm for generating UUIDs, I should be able to
> guarantee at least an extremely low probability of UUID collisions
> across an entire farm of systems running Xen.  I will read up some more
> on the ISO UUID algorithm commonly used by hardware manufacturers.  I
> don't trust it quite yet, but it does seem that this is in line with its
> purpose.

I don't think Xen3 has changed, with UUIDs you'll run into this bug (for which I
have not yet submitted a patch for, I should do that).

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-07/msg00090.html

I was hastily adding support for UUIDs to the Globus workspace control program
and ran up against this problem because UUIDs can start with digits. Because I
couldn't wait to rely on a Xen patch, what I ended up doing for that was
stripping digits from the beginning of the UUID before sending it to Xen which
is clearly only a temporary hack.

Tim