Re: [Xen-devel] xen 3.0 for AMD Pacifica

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 09:53, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
>
> >>We intend to add support for x86 h/w virtualization extensions
> >>as information about them becomes available.
> >>

> >What information is needed beyond the Pacifica documentation already
> >provided by AMD and the Vanderpool docs provided by Intel?
> >

> I don't know where you're quoting from, but both specs are out publicly.

I know. I have both. What I was asking is whether the info in those documents
is sufficient to make Xen work with  the hardware of both chips, or is
additional
info needed (and still not available)?

> As Mark mentions, there's quite a bit of work to go from specs to
> implementation though.
>
> Both VT and Pacifica are pretty similiar in the basic idea that they
> allow the processor to be put in a mode where 30 or so events that
> normally don't trap actually do trap.

Pacifica has a new paging mode (paged real mode) made possible by the
Opteron on-chip memory controller. This feature is not present in VT.

> Just having the processor trap though doesn't get you virtualization
> :-)  Each of those events has to be handled, and often emulated.  Throw
> in shadow paging and IO emulation and it's all rather complicated.
>
> Plus, there's not much that can be done without having the hardware at
> this point.
>
> >Is there any possibility of setting up a mailing list directed specifically
> >at
> >xen 3.0 hardware supported virtualization?
> >

> There are an awful lot of Xen mailing lists at this point.  What would
> be *really* useful is having some content on the wiki that went into
> more depth about VT/Pacifica.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori
>
> >Thanks,
> >Dave Feustel

Tired of having to defend against Malware?
You know: trojans, viruses, SPYWARE, ADWARE,
KEYLOGGERS, rootkits, worms and popups.
Then Switch to OpenBSD with a KDE desktop!!!