RE: [Xen-devel] allocating AGP aperture memory

  • To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:18:59 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:15:50 +0000

> > At some point I need to be able to remap the actual, physical
> > e0000000 address range into something locally addressable.
> > ioremap_cache is failing, though that might be because of the
> > page reserve collision above.
>
> I haven't looked at the code, but why would you want to map
> the GART aperture into kernel virtual address space? The CPU
> shouldn't need to access stuff through the remapped region --
> its PCI DMAs that should be using it.

You're right, I don't really want to do that, but I got
inadvertantly sidetracked into thinking I needed AGP
support working.  Fortunately, I don't.

However, if I don't have AGP support working, I need
to program the Northbridge registers with the
physical address of the GATT (see init_k8_gatt() in
arch/xen/x86_64/kernel/pci-gart.c).
Just doing a __pa() obviously doesn't return
meaningful data, which is to be expected.  How should
dom0 go about getting it?

-Mark Langsdorf
AMD, Inc.