Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Rename all dying domains to be prefixed with Zombie. This allows a new domain

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:47:23AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:

> So what happens if:
>
> * Dom1 is told to die
> * It doesn't because it can't free a physical resource (i.e. disk)
> * It gets renamed to Zombie-Dom1
> * User tries to recreate Dom1
> * New Dom1 grabs physical resource that was keeping Dom1 from dying
>
> Doesn't that provide for the possibility of 2 writers to a device that only
> can support 1, and all heck breaking loose?  (Note, I hope I'm wrong here)

If a domain has been destroyed, even if it's a zombie in the dying state, it
will never execute another instruction.  Xen may be unable to clean up after
it, but you are guaranteed that it won't write to the filesystem any longer.

Ewan.