Re: [Xen-devel] 32/64-bit hypercall interface -- p2m tables

On Monday 03 October 2005 17:03, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > So if your choice then is between a compatibility translation
> > layer and altering the interface, I think it's pretty clear
> > that changing the interface will result in the least amount
> > of additional code (and associated long-term code maintenance).
>
> This would result in doubling the size of the all the p2m and m2p
> tables,

I don't believe this is true. The tools can create those tables as arrays of
32- or 64-bit mfns depending on the bitsize of the domain being created.

Xen would also know the bitsize of the domain, and so could treat the tables
as 32- or 64-bit as needed. That of course only matters if people actually do
the work to run 32-bit domains on 64-bit hypervisor. Fixing the ABI enables
that work, should people want to pursue it later.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center