[Xen-devel] Problem getting x86_64 dom0 to boot on a FC4 machine

I'm struggling to get Xen to boot on a FC4 Opteron box. I've included the
tail of the boot log below [1].  I suspect that the problems relates to the
software RAID 1 root and boot partitions, and how it relates to the initrd
image. The RAID volumes fail to mount.

I compiled the Xen snapshot from the 23rd September, and the only change
I've made is to enable the Silicon image SATA controller module. My grub
config is included below [4].

In an attempt to get things going, I have moved the boot and root RAID
partition disks onto the onboard silicon image SATA controller [2]. I also
seem to be having problems with the Marvell mv_sata driver, but am hopeful
that solving the other boot issues may overcome these problems.

I created an initrd image using the Fedora mkinitrd script. The /init script
that is generated is included below [3]. Was using the Fedora mkinitrd
script with a vanilla kernel a good idea? Is it a udev problem? Any help
would be greatly appreciated. I'd be very keen to run the x86_64 version on
Xen on the machine.

Greg

--

[1] Xen console boot log

md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
raid5: automatically using best checksumming function: generic_sse
   generic_sse:  4025.200 MB/sec
raid5: using function: generic_sse (4025.200 MB/sec)
md: raid5 personality registered as nr 4
raidautorun: RAID_AUTORUN failed: 19
raidautorun: RAID_AUTORUN failed: 19
raidautorun: RAID_AUTORUN failed: 19
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
Switching to new root
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: 22

[2] Machine Config
Tyan S2882
Single Opteron
512M RAM
Marvell SATA Controller (Highpoint 1820A)
RAID 1 /boot
RAID 1 /
RAID 5 for non-system data mounted on /raid

[3] /init script extraced from the initrd image
#!/bin/nash

mount -t proc /proc /proc
setquiet
echo Mounted /proc filesystem
echo Mounting sysfs
mount -t sysfs /sys /sys
echo Creating /dev
mount -o mode=0755 -t tmpfs /dev /dev
mknod /dev/console c 5 1
mknod /dev/null c 1 3
mknod /dev/zero c 1 5
mkdir /dev/pts
mkdir /dev/shm
echo Starting udev
/sbin/udevstart
echo -n "/sbin/hotplug" > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
echo "Loading sata_sil.ko module"
insmod /lib/sata_sil.ko
echo "Loading md.ko module"
insmod /lib/md.ko
echo "Loading raid1.ko module"
insmod /lib/raid1.ko
echo "Loading xor.ko module"
insmod /lib/xor.ko
echo "Loading raid5.ko module"
insmod /lib/raid5.ko
/sbin/udevstart
raidautorun /dev/md0
raidautorun /dev/md1
raidautorun /dev/md2
echo Creating root device
mkrootdev /dev/root
echo Mounting root filesystem
mount -o defaults --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
echo Switching to new root
switchroot --movedev /sysroot

[4] grub

title Xen (2.6.12xen0) serial
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=192000 com1=38400,8n1
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.12-xen0  ro root=/dev/md2  console=ttyS0
        module /initrd-2.6.12-xen0.img