Re: [Xen-devel] changeset:6989 vm sticking around in shutdown state

  • To: xen-devel List <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dan Smith <danms@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:57:29 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:55:31 +0000

TK> I cloned the config with a new name and the domU was recreated.

This brings me back to the topic of renaming stuck domains.  It seems
to me that having the tools prevent you from re-creating a domain just
because a shell of the domain is stuck will get annoying.  Admins may
end up cloning a config file and tweaking the name several times to
get the tools to allow recreation of one of their domUs without having
to reboot the host.

I know that the domains *shouldn't* get stuck once everything firms
up, but can't we have the tools be more user-friendly if the problem
does arise in a production environment?

How about adding a "force" flag to "xm create" that would rename any
stuck domains so that the creation can proceed?

--
Dan Smith
IBM Linux Technology Center