Re: [Xen-devel] [PATCh][VT] partial PIC to HV patch

On 22 Sep 2005, at 10:33, Dong, Eddie wrote:

Keir:
        This is patch to move PIC mask/EOI access to HV for performance
and we saw about 5% performance increasement with this patch.

I'm not sure about this. I don't much like splitting the implementation of a device across both Xen and qemu -- I'd rather implement entirely within one or the other. Our eventual aim should be to move all non-Xen device models into the context of the vmx domain (running as a paravirt 'mini domain' in rings 1 to 3 of the root vmcs). This might reduce latency enough for most devices to avoid distasteful 'split' device-model implementations.

In the case of local APICs, I/O APICs and the legacy PIC I can accept that, even in the above model there will probably be a measurable performance improvement to implementing these devices within Xen. But I think this should be done by moving their complete implementation into Xen and defining a clean interface to device models running in domain0 and/or rings 1-3. In the case of the PIC, this could be done by having a virtualised 'interrupt wire' for each device (e.g., represent an 'interrupt edge' by a special call into Xen that runs the PIC device model).

The other argument for putting the PIC and IO-APIC in Xen is that the PIT is already there, and having it call out into a non-Xen device model to send interrupts is rather gross.

 -- Keir