RE: [Xen-devel] virtualGraphicCards

  • To: "Daniel Hulme" <dh286@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Retzki, Sascha [Xplain]" <sascha.retzki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:45:05 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:42:57 +0000

> Exactly, so you support the first option Mark mentioned. The second
> option is that we shift the boundary higher up than that: the domU
just
> has a special X driver that, instead of writing the data to a gfx
card,
> packages it up in whatever way for the backend driver in dom0 to look
at
> later. This is probably an easier way to do it -- we only have to
> interface to X calls, rather than having to pretend to be a whole
> graphics card, with VESA and everything -- but strikes me as being
> almost cripplingly platform-specific.

X is not the center of this world. If it is, something is wrong.
I think VESA, VGA, other (better, newer) protocols are way better. They
are more generic, and thus *can* be supported by other Operating
Systems. Despite that X is on another "layer" (layer as in OSI, just for
graphics cards ;-))...