Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] Switching store to use domain id's for keys

On 5 Sep 2005, at 09:35, Steven Hand wrote:

You have a unique identifier which is already used by the tools and is
simple to understand.

Well actually I currently have two; user-defined 'names' and UUIDs. I'm
arguing that we retain these two (along with the third sort of 'name'
in the form of domain ids) but use them more appropriately.

Can we not just sidestep this issue by saying that UUIDs are arbitrary strings? Then people who want to use names at that level can do so, and we can use random strings or DCE UUIDs or whatever else when we want to auto-generate a UUID (and I can think of scenarios where this will be the case, and the user will not be specifying the name nor care what that name is).

I think pretty much every user of the store treats UUIDs as opaque, so this seems a good solution to me. The argument that UUIDs are regular and easy to generate is not a winner for me.

 -- Keir