Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Fine-grained proxy resource charging

Andi Kleen wrote:

It's not a bad idea just because it's a hard problem.

Hard, likely slow (x86 has no really cheap
way to do microstate accounting), likely a lot of work,
and you have to fix up every driver in existence for it.
Not even talking about the VM which would need a kind
of redesign for it. For example pdflushd when flushing a dirty page has
no idea who dirtied it originally and there is simply no space in struct page to track such stuff.

Hey, we don't need an exact solution. Right now there is no accounting at all for I/O overhead, so even a crude solution would be a giant step in the right direction.

Rob