RE: [Xen-devel] passing hypercall parameters by pointer

> This is all potentially fixable before 3.0 final. Paravirt
> x86 can continue to use guest virtual addresses. The idea
> would be that the registration scheme would essentially
> create a parameter-passing 'address space' into which you
> hook pages of memory. On x86 we would map the address space
> onto regions of kernel va space. On other arches we would map
> the address space onto physical addresses that get mapped
> into Xen's va space.
> get_user/put_user/copy_from_user/copy_to_user will take guest
> addresses that point into this parameter-passing address space.
>
> At least we can scope it out by doing a few hypercalls to
> start with -- probably dom0_ops first and see how it pans
> out. I think it will work quite well...

I'd be inclined to first go after the ops that are needed for the
paravirtualized drivers (mem_op, grantab_op). Perhaps people could post
a few patch examples for dicsussion?

NB: This in no way represents a commitment to get this into 3.0-final.
Let's have a look at the patches and decide.

[Right now, anything that isn't fixing bugs or sorting out xenbus/tools
is actually a distraction]

Ian